Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Seize the Day!

Monday: We had dinner with the Wickman family. They are really fun. Their grandson just got his mission call to Russia! We had a lovely dinner. P-day was spent doing a variety of activities such as shopping, emailing, and going to Muscle Max. Where we found out our total body water, dry lean mass, body fat mass, skeletal muscle mass, and body fat mass. Which by this point in my mission I expected all of those to be crazy high but they are actually "normal." Our zone has a goal for who can lose the most body fat percentage. And gain the most muscle mass. (Which we found out is NOT a approved goal . . . even though my trainee loves it)

Tuesday: We have been contacting lots of less actives. Our ward has well over 600 names on the records and less than 200 come weekly. Our ward boundaries are so huge.

We visited Sister Black we sang to her "keep the commandments" and we keep trying to invite her to church, we truly do believe she could come. We visited Sister Tamara and shared the plan of happiness. We invited her to church, she declined and said it was because of her non-member husband and his health problems. We then went to see Sherri a recent move-in who hasn't came to church. We invited her to church and for the last 3 weeks I've heard every excuse possible. And yet she still expresses she wants to be active and come. I believe her, but old habits die hard. And I of all people know how hard it is to change . . . we all do. But moving to a new place doesn't change you. Before my mission I always thought happiness would come when I had this work position or when I got this or that new job . . . getting a new job didn't change me, and at times it might have stretched me but you have to be willing to change to change. You can say something all you want but you must act.

We had dinner with the Johnson's they are a fun cute family.

After we went back to visiting less actives. We met a family Pat and Pam who have been through so much. I'm sure they only let us in because of the rain and it was late (8:15pm: the best time to contact people. They also let you in because it's so "cold" or "late") We were able to speak with them and even have a prayer. I wish I knew how to help them get to church. I know they have strong testimonies they could help strengthen so many. We will see what's to come with them. But they are just so grand. Pray for them.

Wednesday: We had district meeting which usually isn't the day we have it on but we couldn't do any other day. So we did that. And to be honest it wasn't my favorite meeting this transfer because literally everything I've told my trainee as far as rules go (like etc "we wake up at 6:30 am not 6am"....or how you can't get up and exercise if your companion is asleep" -which is a concern I have).  I mean the Elders sat there and told her it was okay. (Hello! does anyone read the white handbook! )It says 6:30 not 6 or 5:30. I remember my MTC teacher Sister Lyons telling us how she used to get up early on her mission to study (not sure who corrected her) but they told her something along the lines of, " don't you think Heavenly Father can help you become who he needs you to be within the normal study time, can't he use you as an instrument in his hands with the scheduled study time." Personally, I don't feel this is the time in my life to work on losing weight, I mean I know I should be healthy, don't get me wrong, but their is a reason for every rule. And I understand that. Also, just thinking of the sacrifices loved one and my family back home have made for me to be out here, yes, I'm obedient because I want to be but I'm also obedient because I am not here to waste anyone's time or money. Serving the Lord isn't a joke to me. I can worry about myself when I get home. Okay sorry about that, back to what I do with the Lord's day.

We visited the Jo Ann, she doesn't rely have a desire to come to church but she is older and one of those people who would never turn away anyone at the door. She is very kind. We just have to keep working with her.

After, we visited with the Chavez family. They were baptized about 4 years ago and brother Chavez thinks church is to long (3hours) they are a lovely family. We invited them to church. I'm almost sick of hearing the "maybe" or "someday."

We had dinner with the Wasden family, they have three sons (triplets) and a daughter. We invited them to write their testimony inside a Book of Mormon. They are a great family. I loved being their.

We had a lesson with the Randall's, we talked about baptism, confirmation, and obey and honoring the law. It was a great lesson, they are able to see so many blessings in their lives since joining the church. They are a great family! So many good things are happening.

We also met with the Hinshaw family. We are starting back at the restoration, and teaching them the lessons, so this week we cleared up his questions about not knowing if he believed everything, and just of how we don't need to believe everything all at once, and how you don't have to always think inside the box. Overall it was a great lesson.

Thursday: Well our whole day was changed 5 mins before we left the house. All week we were planning on the trainers and trainee meeting being at 9 am. Before we were about to walk to the car we found out it was changed to 2 pm. So all our afternoon plans were cancelled. Because we had to do studies. So after studies we went and did service with Sister Wheeler. And then went to Windsor to have lunch at Berry Blenz (smoothie place). Then we went to the meeting. Over all it was good. The other trainers and I talked about how we felt our "fun" zone goals were helping our trainees. Well, my reply was that they weren't. And I also found out the goal wasn't a approved goal. One of my Zone Leaders is from the mission that just joined ours. Apparently zone fitness goals were stopped there many times by this Elder's last mission president. My trainee might be a little obsessed with the goal. In the end, I was told to talk to Sister Brown, (mission presidents wife). I was then told to goal will die, well 5 days later this goal still isn't dead. but it will be. I'll give it some time!

We had dinner with the Paul family. It was a lovely time. And the family was so nice to have feed us. It was fun seeing them, and hearing them joke about everything. I learned a very important lesson, I need to keep track of how many lactose pills I have early in the week before I only have two left. This whole week I only had two pills and I learned very quickly that I must keep track of these things. People are good at forgetting I can't have dairy. We were able to met with Ben, a less active in this ward. But it's a LA we found who still lives in his home, he hasn't moved. We shared the restoration with him, he said he'd go to church while He was out of town.

Friday: We had mission conference, and guess what we got IPADS!!!!!! To be honest I wasn't excited at first but I now see so much good for having them. Those who told president they didn't want them were chastised in this meeting. So it was a call to repentance for pretty much everyone . . . in one way or another. But we got to see the temple! (Fort Collins) We got out just in time go visit Amanda. She's 15, doesn't come to church, neither does her family. We read with her from the Book of Mormon, she wasn't too thrilled when we invited her to church, but she told us how she hates moving, her family is planning on moving again. Amanda has moved 6 times in her life. She told us once her mom's back gets better they plan to pack up and move. Her mom was just in the hospital for her back this last week. So since her mom was basically put on bed rest we bought them a pizza. Our dinner canceled on us so we went to $1.50 a scoop. And then came home to set up our iPads.

Saturday: we had dinner with the Williams family, brother Williams is the bishop. So every Saturday they feed us breakfast and we share a message with the family, and then the kids go play and we met with Bishop and go over the progress record with him (all the lessons we taught in the week) so this week we invited the kids to write their testimony and send it to their grandparents. We then came home to have studies, and lunch then weekly plan. After, we went to the Wickman's and had dinner. Jasper had his graduation party, and they invited us for dinner. It was a great dinner. We then went to the Marks, brother Mark wasn't having a great day but we taught about following the prophet and baptism, and confirmation. Good things are happening. Rick texted us tonight and asked if he could be taught by Elders because of his jealous girlfriend haha.

Sunday: We went to church, and taught the gospel principles class on Repentance. Over all it was a good lesson. We then had missionary coronation meeting and spoke with the ward missionaries about the work in the ward and what our needs are. After, we returned home and did studies, during lunch I slept because my head hurt.

After studies though we went to the Bradstreet's and it was Sister Bradstreet's one year mark being a member. We taught on the plan of happiness. It was a great lesson. Then we visited the Marks because they weren't at church, but we shared a message with them, we spoke of the atonement. It was a great lesson.

We had dinner with the Richardson's. They are a lovely family, very busy. We invited them to read the Book of Mormon as a family, and to pray to find their own testimonies. We tried to find some more less actives, because it was dark we couldn't see house numbers so we got out of the car and walked to 1412 (we were looking for 1416) and we knocked on their door and then we met Antonio, he told us we could come back, I truly hope this works out.

One of my favorite Disney songs is Seize the Day from Newsies and as a missionary I think of the song in a different way, just of how we need to seize every moment. Every second counts. We are all one in the work. This work is amazing and I wouldn't take it back for anything. I love being out here.

Thank you for all your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment